Healthcare Chefs Compete For Industry’s Premier Award
WHAT: The Association for Healthcare Foodservice (AHF) is pleased to announce the top five culinary teams from the healthcare industry competing in the eighth annual culinary competition. The culinary teams hail from facilities in Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio and Tennessee.
New in 2017, there are no mandatory ingredients. However, each original recipe must follow certain nutritional and cost guidelines and be appropriate to serve in the team’s operation; whether retail, catering or patient feeding.
WHEN: Wednesday, August 16
2:00pm – 4:00 pm
WHERE: The Exhibit Hall at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center in the Washington, DC area.
WHO: Competing in the 2017 AHF Culinary Competition are:
- Darla Mehrkens, CEC and Amber Duncan, Carilion Clinic (Roanoke, VA) making Cod a la Nage
- Mike Kasperek and Harvey Buchhan, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (New Brunswick, NJ) making Blackened Mahi Mahi
- Bridget O'Leary and Manny Lopez, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center (Baltimore, MD) making Bulgolgi Beef Bibimbap
- Matthew Osolin and Ryan Wagner, Ohio Living at Breckenridge Village (Willoughby, OH) making Prawn Sanctioned Ashore
- Richard Farmer,CEC and Michael Vetro, CEC, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (Memphis, TN) making North Carolina Black Bass with Gazpacho, Yellow Pepper Gastrique and Red Cabbage with Fennel
These teams and their dishes will be judged on organization, culinary skills, taste and presentation. The top three winners will be awarded prizes and medals. Additionally, this year following the competition, AHF will present a new award entitled the People's Choice Award wherein conference attendees are invited to vote for their favorite team's dish. The winning team will receive this new accolade.
Judging the 2017 AHF Culinary Competition are:
- Erik "Chef Egg" Berlin, Celebrity Chef
- David Creamer, Gaylord Executive Resort Chef
- Jason Johnston, MGM Executive Chef
- Chef Lloyd Galloway, ACF Certified Evaluator
- 2016 AHF Culinary Competition First Place Winner, Chef John Graziano
- 2016 AHF Culinary Competition First Place Winner, Chef Jason Nyman
Formed in 2009, the Association for Healthcare Foodservice is composed of food and nutrition professionals from facilities that are self-operated. AHF advances the foodservice and hospitality industry in all healthcare segments by developing our Operator members through continuing education, networking opportunities, annual conference, and innovative equipment and service through our business partners. AHF advocates for and supports its members to create best practice, while connecting the leaders that advance the industry.